Charles Spencer, the 9th Earl Spencer, was educated at Eton College and obtained his degree in Modern History at Magdalen College, Oxford. An acclaimed author of six books, and three bestsellers, his latest historical work will be published in September.
The Belmond British Pullman and Althorp with Earl Spencer
For up-to-date information on travel and COVID-19, click here.
Travel back in time to the golden age of train travel and enjoy a glorious day rolling through the British countryside on the beautiful Art Deco carriages of the Belmond British Pullman.
On this exclusive rail journey, you'll enjoy a three-course brunch as you make your way from London to Althorp in Northamptonshire, one of the UK's finest stately homes. Once there you'll be met by Lord Spencer, who will give a private talk and let you explore the house and grounds.
On your return to London you'll be treated to a Champagne reception and delicious four-course dinner on-board the Belmond British Pullman so your day will end - as it started - in style.
"Althorp was built for entertainment - and the guests who come on this trip will find themselves both entertained and (I hope) informed. I look forward to welcoming them and talking to them about my new history book (out in September) - a non-fiction royal tragedy from centuries ago."
Telegraph Subscriber Exclusive Offer
Subscribers of The Telegraph save £50 per couple* and receive a free copy of Earl Spencer's new book.** To redeem your subscriber discount, please visit telegraph.co.uk/rewards.
Reasons to book
A classic train journey
The Althorp Estate
Meet Lord Spencer
Your expert guide
- Return journey on the Belmond British Pullman from London Victoria to Northampton
- Three-course brunch with a welcome Bellini and tea and coffee on the outward journey
- Private coach from Northampton Station to Althorp Estate
- Welcome talk by Earl Charles Spencer
- Free copy of Earl Spencer's new book for every booking**
- Entrance to Althorp House and grounds
- Champagne reception on the Belmond British Pullman train on the inbound journey plus a four-course dinner with wine
- Low deposit of only £75pp
Shared Table for four: £595 (Telegraph subscribers) | £620 (Non-subscribers)
Guaranteed Table for two: £615 (Telegraph subscribers) | £640 (Non-subscribers)
Guaranteed Coupé for four: £695 (Telegraph subscribers) | £720 (Non-subscribers)
Guaranteed Coupé for two: £795 (Telegraph subscribers) | £820 (Non-subscribers)
N.B. Limited single seats available. All prices are per person, subject to availability.
Day1Althorp visit on the Belmond British PullmanAlthorp House, United Kingdom
Your day will start early with an 8am departure from London Victoria station where the gleaming Belmond British Pullman carriages will be waiting for you. Stewards, resplendent in their immaculate uniforms, will show you to your reserved seat on this stately 'palace on wheels' which was created over a century ago by George Mortimer Pullman. There are 11 passenger carriages, each an original masterpiece from the 1920s or 1930s with its own name and unique personality. You can choose to sit in either an 'a coupé' compartment which seats up to four people, or in the open car at a table for two. There is also a limited number of single tables and tables for three available.
You will be served a welcome Bellini and delicious threecourse brunch on your way to Althorp House and have time to enjoy the passing countryside from the picture windows and admire the vintage upholstery, intricate marquetry, mosaic floors, solid brass fittings and softlyshaded lamps.
The train journey to Northampton Station will take approximately two and a half hours. On arrival you'll board a private coach for the short drive to the Althorp Estate. There you will be welcomed by Lord Spencer, the ninth Earl Spencer. He will give an exclusive talk about his family home and the work he has done to it since inheriting it in 1992 from his father the eighth Earl. You will have an opportunity to ask him to sign the free copy of his latest book you'll receive with each booking**.
You are then invited to explore Althorp at your leisure. The estate's lavishly appointed State Rooms include the Tudor Picture Gallery, The Library and King William Bedroom. Formal lawns surround the house, with access to Althorp's Arboretum and The Round Oval. There are magnificent views of the ancient Deer Park from both the house and the Palladian Stable Block. At approximately 2pm, you will be transferred to Northampton Station by coach and board the lavish Belmond British Pullman carriages again for your journey home. On board during your return trip, you will enjoy a Champagne reception and a sumptuous four-course dinner, which will includ matched wines, to celebrate the day you've enjoyed at one of Britain's finest stately homes. After a smooth journey you will arrive back at London Victoria at approximately 6pm.
Belmond British Pullman
There is no finer way to travel than on the luxurious Belmond train.
The sister train to the Belmond Venice Simplon-Orient- Express, these glorious train carriages have been restored to their former glory and are as beautiful today as they were in the heyday of train travel. Recreate the glamour of the 1920s as you glide across the British countryside, enjoying two meals on board and admiring the antique-style marquetry, vintage lighting and heritage upholstery.
Brought to you by
For general information, click here.
To view TS Tours as agent for Travel Editions’ supplier’s terms and conditions click here.
* TELEGRAPH SUBSCRIBERS ONLY. PLEASE NOTE price is based on four sharing a table and subject to availability. **Subscribers only. Discounts based on four sharing. Subject to availability. One copy of book per booking. To redeem your exclusive subscriber offer visit www.telegraph.co.uk/rewards. Deposit £75pp. Calls are made at local rates. Tour is operated by and subject to the booking conditions of TS Tours, a company wholly independent of Telegraph Media Group Ltd. In the case of unforeseen circumstances, experts may be substituted.
* PRICE FOR NON-SUBSCRIBERS. PLEASE NOTE price is based on four sharing a table and subject to availability. Deposit £75pp. Calls are made at local rates. Tour is operated by and subject to the booking conditions of TS Tours, a company wholly independent of Telegraph Media Group Ltd. In the case of unforeseen circumstances, experts may be substituted.